The basic requirement is a German final degree or an equivalent foreign degree that qualifies for a profession (e.g. Bachelor).
Within former undergraduate studies, students must have acquired a minimum of 30 ECTS credits in economics and a minimum of 18 ECTS credits in quantitative methods (mathematics, statistics and econometrics). The sum of ECTS credits must account for at least 72 ECTS credits. Please also note important information about prior knowledge of econometrics. Important information on prior knowledge of econometrics can be found here.
Certificate of language skills in English, level: B2 CEFR or higher. Exceptions: Applicants who have a bachelor’s degree from a university where English is the official teaching language and applicants who have been taught English at school for six years or longer. You can find further information on language skills in English here.
Certificate of language skills in German. Exceptions: Applicants who have a bachelor’s degree from a university where German is the official teaching language. You can find further information on language skills in German at the time of application and enrollment here.
Admission is limited.
Applicants who are not able to provide a certificate of the final degree of their undergraduate program by May 31st can still apply submitting their current level of academic performance (Transcript of Records) instead. As a basic requirement, students must have acquired already two-thirds of the credit points of their undergraduate program in that case. In the selection process, the average grade of the current level of academic performance will then be taken into account. A certificate of the final degree of the undergraduate program must be provided until the end of the first semester of the master program.
If you apply with a final degree that you have obtained outside the European Higher Education Area and that displays your credits differing from the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS), it is essential to add an appropriate conversion key to your application documents! The conversion key must reveal the amount of hours necessary in order to obtain one credit at your university. Only in that way, it can be ensured that your academic performance can be transmitted correctly into ECTS credits in the selection process by Freie Universität Berlin. You can get the conversion key from the university issuing the certificate of your final degree.
Except in the case of continuing education courses and auditing, Freie Universität Berlin does not charge any tuition fees (Studiengebühren) for its study programs. Instead, the university only charges “semester fees and contributions” (Semestergebühren and Semesterbeiträge). You can find further informationen on those semester fees and contributions here.
Admission is limited. 51% of the university places are allocated based on the final grade respectively the average grade of the current level of academic performance (except for the waiting time and the hardship quota). The remaining 49% of the university places are allocated according to a weighting procedure in which both the grade and passed courses in Public Finance: Revenues, Public Finance: Expenditures, Labour Economics, Environmental Economics, Public Choice, Economic History, Econometrics and Labour Law are taken into account.
* All necessary documents must be uploaded in the application portal latest at the end of the application period. The subsequent filing of missing documents is not possible.
** The corresponding link will be activated at the beginning of the application period.