We have opened an interim library under pandemic conditions, which is set up in the basement of the School of Business & Economics due to the renovation of the library. In the interim library the lending services are located at the interim lending desk. You have access to 16 individual study spaces in the interim reading room. You can reach the interim library in the basement via the side entrance on Garystrasse.
The library has taken precautions to comply with hygienic regulations, to control access, routes and ensure the minimum distance between people.
Which services of the interim library are provided?
- Picking up previously ordered items
- Returning items
- Registration for library use
- Use of study spaces
- Use of electronic resources
Who can use the library?
The library primarily serves the research, teaching and study purposes of the members of the Freie Universität Berlin (FU).
- For FU students a valid CampusCard is also your user card for the FU libraries.
- FU staff without a FU user card can create a library card on their own via the ZEDAT-Portal(see Libraries).
- Furthermore, anyone with a minimum age of 16 years and who is officially registered in Berlin or Brandenburg can apply for a user card at no charge.
Note: the use of certain IT-based services is permitted only to FU members.
Where and how do I get information and advice?
What to pay attention to when entering the building?
- Please wear a medical mask in the building.
- Please keep the required distance of 1.50 m from other people.
- Please use the disinfection options that are provided.
Who can borrow items?
Anyone who has a valid student ID (CampusCard) from Freie Universität Berlin or user card can request items via the library portal Primo and borrow items.
Which items can be borrowed?
Books and journal volumes marked "Magazin" (stacks) can be requested via the library portal Primo and borrowed.
Books marked as “Lehrbuchsammlung” (textbook collection) can usually only be requested by FUB students.
Which media cannot be borrowed?
Protected books, protected journals and rarities (rare books) cannot be borrowed.
How do I order media?
To order or request media, use the library portal Primo.
Items that are waiting to be picked up will be held available for loan for five opening days at the lending desk.
How long can I borrow media?
The loan period is usually 4 weeks, for textbooks 2 weeks.
The loan period can be shortened for titles that are frequently requested.
How and where can I extend the loan period?
The loan period can usually be extended up to 26 weeks, provided that no other user has requested the item. Usually the renewal is carried out by the user in the library portal Primo in the user account (see Primo Login and My Account). The loan period can also be extended at the lending desk.
Please note: currently, items that no other user has requested are renewed automatically (as of April 2020).
How much is the borrowing fee?
Borrowing is generally free of charge. If the loan period is exceeded, a reminder may be sent for a fee (according to the fee schedule).
Please note: no reminder fees are currently charged (as of April 2020)
From Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. 16 individual study spaces are available in the interim reading room.
A reservation is required, please bring either proof of a recent negative Covid-19 test, a vaccination certificate or a certificate of recovery.
How are the study spaces equipped?
Desk 1 to 2: with ThinClient research device - booking with library account or FU account
Desk 3 to 4: with Windows PC - booking with FU account
Desk 5: with Windows PC - booking with FU account, only members of the School of Business and Economics
Desk 6 to 16: you have to bring your own laptop / mobile device (electricity and WiFi are available) - booking with library account or FU account
How can I book a study space?
A study space can be booked from Monday to Friday 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and/or from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. on up to 5 days a week. Reservations are possible in advance for the next 7 days.
- Login with FU account or library account.
If you don't have a library account, contact us under: email@example.com
- Members of the FU should use the FU account to book a study space.
- Choose an available date and desk.
- Fill in the necessary fields of the form.
- At any time, you can edit or delete the reservation.
What should you pay attention to when using the study spaces?
- Before using a study space, a prior check-in at the lending desk is required. Please present the booking information, and either proof of a recent negative Covid-19 test, a vaccination certificate or a certificate of recovery to the team at the lending desk.
- It is required to wear a medical mask in the whole building and at the study space while seated.
- The reserved and occupied desks are marked.
- The required distance of 1.50 m from other people is to be kept.
- It is required to regularly open the windows for ventilation in the reading room, even when the outside temperature is cold and/or when it is raining. The windows can be opened independently for ventilation.
- Drinks are allowed.
- Eating is not permitted.
- The desks are cleaned every morning before the rooms are opened.
- Personal data are only visible to the user himself and the room administrators. The data is used exclusively for contact tracking and the traceability of infection chains in the event that a SARS-CoV-2 infection should occur during the time or location of the visit and will be deleted after four weeks (information on data protection) in accordance with Art. 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for mandatory contact tracking within the meaning of the SARS-CoV-2 Infection Protection Ordinance.
- A booked study space that is not required should be canceled so that other interested users can work in the library.
FUB members or users in the FUB libraries have access to licensed e-resources. The terms and conditions of use for e-resources are laid down in the licensing agreements concluded between the Freie Universität Berlin and the providers / licensors of electronic products.
By using the e-resources, users agree to abide by these terms and conditions of use.
Notes: Unfortunately, due to construction work (library renovation), there may be noise pollution. Before you arrive, please bear in mind that the cafeterias only offer limited services or are closed. Please refer to the website of the Studierendenwerk Berlin for more information.Do you have further questions? Write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org.