On August 17, 2020 we will open our interim library under pandemic conditions, which is set up in the basement of the School of Business & Economics due to the renovation of the library. In the interim library the lending services are located at the interim lending desk. Furthermore, 16 individual study spaces are available for learning and working on-site. You can reach the interim library in the basement via the side entrance on Garystrasse.
The library has taken precautions to comply with hygienic regulations, to control access, routes and ensure the minimum distance between people.
Who can use the library?
The library primarily serves the research, teaching and study purposes of the members of the Freie Universität Berlin (FUB). Furthermore, anyone with a minimum age of 16 years and who is officially registered in Berlin or Brandenburg can apply for a user card at no charge. Note: the use of certain IT-based services is permitted only to FUB members.
What to pay attention to when entering the building?
- Please wear mouth and nose protection in the building.
- Please keep the required distance of 1.50 m from other people.
- Please use the disinfection options that are provided.
Which services of the interim library are provided?
- Picking up previously ordered items
- Returning items
- Registration for library use
- Use of 16 individual study spaces
- Use of electronic resources
Who can borrow items?
Anyone who has a valid student ID (CampusCard) from Freie Universität Berlin or user card can request items via the library portal Primo and borrow items.
Which items can be borrowed?
Books and journal volumes marked "Magazin" (stacks) can be requested via the library portal Primo and borrowed.
Books marked as “Lehrbuchsammlung” (textbook collection) can usually only be requested by FUB students.
Which media cannot be borrowed?
Protected books, protected journals and rarities (rare books) cannot be borrowed.
A selection of the economic reference collection will be located on the upper floor of the Law Library. These items cannot be borrowed, but can be read, scanned or copied on site. Please note that it is necessary to reserve a study space in the Law Library in order to use the media.
How do I order media?
To order or request media, use the library portal Primo.
Items that are waiting to be picked up will be held available for loan for five opening days at the lending desk.
How long can I borrow media?
The loan period is usually 4 weeks, for textbooks 2 weeks.
The loan period can be shortened for titles that are frequently requested.
How and where can I extend the loan period?
The loan period can usually be extended up to 26 weeks, provided that no other user has requested the item. Usually the renewal is carried out by the user in the library portal Primo in the user account (see Primo Login and My Account). The loan period can also be extended at the lending desk.
Please note: currently, items that no other user has requested are renewed automatically (as of April 2020).
How much is the borrowing fee?
Borrowing is generally free of charge. If the loan period is exceeded, a reminder may be sent for a fee (according to the fee schedule).
Please note: no reminder fees are currently charged (as of April 2020).
In the interim library only 16 individual study spaces are available in two rooms. A reservation is required.
How are the study spaces equipped?
Desk 1 to 3: with Windows PC (without printing option) - booking only for FUB members
Desk 4 and 5: with ThinClient research device (with print option) - booking for all library users
Desk 6 to 16: you have to bring your own laptop / mobile device (electricity and WiFi (FUB members only) are available) - booking for all library users
How can I book a study space?
- FUB members can book a study space directly via an online calendar.
- External library users can book a study space using a separate online form and have to wait for a confirmation of the reservation.
- Reservations are possible in advance for the next 14 days for one day a week per user.
- The booking is valid for one opening day: Monday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- A booked study space that is not required should be canceled so that other interested users can work in the library.
- The reserved and occupied desks are marked.
- Personal data are only visible to the user himself and the room administrators. The data is used exclusively for contact tracking and the traceability of infection chains in the event that a SARS-CoV-2 infection should occur during the time or location of the visit and will be deleted after four weeks information on data protection in accordance with Art. 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for mandatory contact tracking within the meaning of the SARS-CoV-2 Infection Protection Ordinance.
What should you pay attention to when using the study spaces?
- Mouth and nose protection are not required while seated.
- The desk must be disinfected before use.
- Drinks are allowed. Eating is not permitted.
- The desks are cleaned every morning before the rooms are opened.
How does the online study space reservation work?
To reserve a study space, please use the following online forms::
The confirmation email must be presented to the lending desk of the library before using the study space.
FUB members or users in the FUB libraries have access to licensed e-resources. The terms and conditions of use for e-resources are laid down in the licensing agreements concluded between the Freie Universität Berlin and the providers / licensors of electronic products.
By using the e-resources, users agree to abide by these terms and conditions of use.
Notes: Unfortunately, due to construction work (library renovation), there may be noise pollution. Before you arrive, please bear in mind that the cafeterias only offer limited services or are closed. Please refer to the website of the Studierendenwerk Berlin for more information.Do you have further questions? Write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org.