2013-10, PhD Position at RWTH Aachen (Germany)
Position of Research Assistant
Project: Complex Simulation Systems for Decision Support Our
Profile: The new research group Advanced Analytics is part of the Research Area Operations Research and Management at the School of Business and Economics. We aim to combine methods of data analytics, simulation and optimization to support decisions under uncertainty and complexity.
- We expect applicants to have a degree (master or equivalent) in business information systems, engineering sciences, computer sciences, or applied mathematics.
- The candidate should be fluent in English and - ideally - German. Candidates that apply for this position shall meet the following criteria
- Previous experience with simulation modelling, especially discrete event-based simulations, stochastic simulations, multi-agent simulations.
- Some expertise in object-oriented programming.
- Acquaintance with concepts of data mining and operations research in general and revenue management in particular.
- Awareness of emerging trends and developments in relevant technology.
- Capability of highly original work together with an enquiring mind with well-developed analytical and investigative skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills, ability to promote ideas by logical argument and capable of presenting the results of a project in a clear and effective manner.
- Sound time and resource management skills.
- Self-motivated, with the drive and initiative to carry out projects according to plan.
- Enjoyment in working and communicating as part of a team.
Your Duties: You will be part of a new research group and are therefore expected to contribute to the building and establishment of the team both in organizational and functional terms. As we are in the course of establishing an interdisciplinary Business Analytics Lab, your input to this effort will be welcome, too.
- You will be working in a research project combining methods of data analysis and simulation modeling to further research on the validation and calibration of complex simulation systems for decision support.
- This position comes with a teaching load of 2 hours per week. The position is for a fixed term of 2 years and is to be filled as soon as possible. An extension up to a year will be considered at a later date. This is a full-time position. It is also available as part-time employment per request.
- The successful candidate has the opportunity to pursue a doctoral degree.
- The salary is based on the German public service salary scale (TV-L).
RWTH Aachen University is certified as a "Family-Friendly University". We particularly welcome and encourage applications from women, disabled persons and ethnic minority groups, recognizing they are underrepresented across RWTH Aachen University. The principles of fair and open competition apply and appointments will be made on merit.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.