Application for the first Semester
Start of studies: each winter semester
Application period: annually from April 15–May 31
- The applicant must hold a higher education degree or professional qualification from a German or comparable non-German institution.
- They must be able to provide proof that they acquired at least 42 ECTS in economics in their previous higher education degree as well as at least 24 ECTS in quantitative methods (mathematics, statistics, or econometrics), including at least 6 ECTS in econometrics. In total the applicant must have acquired at least 78 ECTS in economics and quantitative methods. Credit points in business administration will not be counted in this regard.
- If you have a university degree in mathematics or physics you can be admitted to the degree program if you can prove that you gained at least 15 ECTS in economics and at least 50 ECTS in quantitative methods (mathematics, statistics, or econometrics).
- In the application process, the self-disclosure form (Attachment 2) (Selbstauskunftsformular) from the admission statutes (Zugangssatzung) must be completed in full with information on admission requirements and selection points.
Certificate of language skills in English, level: B2 CEFR or higher. Exceptions: Applicants who have a bachelor’s degree from a university where English is the official teaching language and applicants who have been taught English at school for six years or longer. You can find further information on language skills in English here.
Certificate of language skills in German. Exceptions: Applicants who have a bachelor’s degree from a university where German is the official teaching language. You can find further information on language skills in German at the time of application and enrollment here.
Applicants who are not able to provide a certificate of the final degree of their undergraduate program by the end of the application period (f.e. because they are in their last semester of their Bachelor's program) can still apply submitting their current level of academic performance (Transcript of Records) instead. In said case, students must have already acquired two-thirds of the credit points of their undergraduate program as a basic requirement. The admission requirements must also be met in full when applying by means of a 2/3 certificate. In the selection process, the average grade of the current level of academic performance will be taken into account. A certificate of the final degree of the undergraduate program must be provided until the end of the first semester of the master program to the Student Service Center.
Information for applicants with a final degree from outside the European Higher Education Area
If you apply with a final degree that you have obtained outside the European Higher Education Area which also displays your credits to differ from the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS), it is essential to add an appropriate conversion key to your application documents! The conversion key must reveal the amount of hours necessary in order to obtain one credit at your university. Thus, it can be ensured that your academic performance will be converted correctly into ECTS credits in the selection process by Freie Universität Berlin. You can get the conversion key from the university issuing the certificate of your final degree.
Information on tuition fees
Except in the case of continuing education courses and auditing, Freie Universität Berlin does not charge any tuition fees (Studiengebühren) for its programs of study. Instead, the university only charges “semester fees and contributions” (Semestergebühren and Semesterbeiträge). You can find further information on semester fees and contributions here.
* All necessary documents must be uploaded to the application portal latest by the end of the application period. The subsequent filing of missing documents is not possible.