Wharton Research Data Service (WRDS)
Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) of the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania is a data research platform that provides the user with one location to access different economic data. WRDS provides a common interface to an extensive collection of databases, covering numerous financial, economic and marketing disciplines in order to make the process of extracting data simpler.
Through WRDS members of the Freie Universität Berlin have access to the free datasets and the following licensed databases:
To access WRDS a valid FU account is necessary. Furthermore you have to request a personalized WRDS account. Who is eligible for a WRDS account?
- Professors and assistant professors (faculty account)
- Ph.D. students
- Research assistants
- Masters students
- Visitors of the Freie Universität Berlin (visiting faculty)
Associated with the account types are the following permissions:
Faculty, Ph.D., research assistants, staff and visitors can apply for an individual account to access WRDS via web, SSH and PC SAS Connect.
Masters students can apply for an individual account to access WRDS via web only. Please note: WRDS policy prohibits masters students from accessing WRDS during the extended break between semesters. Exceptions are possible on request.
Standing faculty may request class accounts for a specific class or course (15 simultaneous users/students, for one semester). Class accounts are used to access the WRDS web interface.
Applying for an account:
- Point your web browser to: https://wrds-www.wharton.upenn.edu/register/
- Fill out the form and choose 'Freie Universität' as subscriber
- After registration, an email will be sent to the WRDS administrators of the FU, who will check the affiliation to the FU.
- After the approval, your WRDS account will be created and you will receive an email with a special URL and instructions for setting the account password and logging into WRDS.
If you already have a WRDS account (of a former institution) – active or recently inactive – please do not apply for an additional account. Use the Change Institution form to initiate an automated transfer of the account to the Freie Universität Berlin or contact the WRDS support.
Interesting links for users: